Saturday, January 26, 2013

I really should get on this

I really need to figure out how to find some time to work with my boys.  I took these pictures yesterday and the day before. 

Two days ago, Damon can running downstairs, very excited.  He told me, "I made a 'D'!  I made a 'D'!"  He was just so excited so I went to look.  Damon likes to color and I was sure he had drawn something that looked like the letter D, hopefully on a piece of paper and not the wall.  I was not expecting to find this.

He used Connect 4 checkers to make a D.  I was so impressed.  And look at that face.  He was so proud of himself.  He did such a great job!  Then he told me, "I made a 'D' for Damon!"  I made him promise not to touch it while I ran to grab the camera.  He knows most of the letters.  I should probably work some more with him and teach him more of the sounds.

Then yesterday, Kelton brought me a picture he made for his friend.  He is not one much for coloring or drawing so I wasn't expecting to find that he had drawn his friend.  But what really surprised me was the word he wrote.  First of all, he doesn't really like writing.  We've done a little bit of tracing and he can write his own name.  He knows almost all of the letter sounds.  A few times we have worked on sounding out simple words.

But this picture was done entirely on his own. He figured out how to write "PRKR" on the picture. His friend's name is Parker.

So yeah.  I feel like a slacker.  A mom on top of things would probably have both these boys reading by now.  So, we will work on it!

1 comment:

Erica said...

I always loved it when my kids would make letters out of their toys or write things on their own--so fun!

(And you shouldn't feel bad that they're not reading yet. You're obviously teaching them about letters and sounds and providing opportunities to learn, not to mention celebrating their successes, so you ARE on top of it!) Motherhood is such a balancing act and there's always more we want to do with/teach our children than there will ever be time for, but as long as we're trying to do some of those good things, we are being good mothers. It's easy to focus on all that we're not doing because it's in our nature to want to do more/better--the hard part is recognizing what we are doing. (Speaking from my own experience and internal battle with this very issue.) :)