Thursday, December 26, 2013

Milestone Birthday

I recently celebrated my 30th birthday!  It seems like people get a bit depressed by turning 30, but I can't say I'm one of them.  First off, thanks to a year of training for that triathlon, and continuing to run afterward, I'm in way better physical shape than I have ever been.  I've lost all of my "baby weight" and I could potentially be done, or close to it, with pregnancy and newborns keeping me up all night.  Plus, I have a wonderful husband and four awesome kids.  I think 30 is not so bad.

My birthday was on a Saturday, so Nate was able to be home.  And I have a husband who thinks birthdays are a really big deal, so he made sure I had a great day.  In the morning, everyone came in to my room to wake me with singing "Happy Birthday."  Then, in honor of turning 30, Nate had the kids bring in my presents--all 30 of them!  This is not a normal thing at our house, so it was quite a surprise!  Let's see if I can remember all 30...

1) Kindle Fire HDX 7" (this was actually from both of our parents, plus some of our credit card rewards).  2) case for the Kindle.  3) OXO can opener.  4) PedEgg.  5) small zippered bag for my bike.  6) coat.  7) Red dress.  8-10) three shirts.  11) U of A shirt.  12-16) Bath and Body Works- 2 body washes, 2 hand soaps, 1 lotion.  17) running capris.  18) phone arm band.  19) phone case.  20) long sleeve running shirt.  21) loofa.  22) Payday candy bar.  23) Reece's minis.  24) Oreo's.  25) U of A basketball tickets.  26) a book called "Divergent."  27) another U of A shirt.  28) Olive Garden gift card.  29) fuzzy socks.  And... 30) iPhone 5s, which I had actually already had for a few days, but Nate was running out of ideas and counted that one. 

Just as Nate warned me beforehand, a lot of this stuff got returned because either it wasn't quite the right thing, or because he wasn't able to shop around for deals and what he got was too expensive.  For example, all of the clothing got returned, except for the red dress.  It was perfect and very pretty.  And Natalie actually picked it out!  But most of everything else that got returned has since been repurchased at a much more budget friendly price.  :)  The only things I returned and didn't repurchase are the coat, the shirts (not including running shirt--I got one of those), the fuzzy socks, the phone case and armband.  But I will buy an armband for my phone so I can run with it without having to hold it. 

But enough about presents.  We then had breakfast and then I went for a two mile run.  Then I took Natalie to see Disney's "Frozen" in 3D in the theater just down the street.  I had one free ticket, so I only had to pay for one of us, and I got free popcorn because it was my birthday.  It was great.  We enjoyed the movie.   I'd heard too many rave reviews about it though, and that's never a good thing... I didn't think it was "rave-worthy."  But we will buy it when it comes out. 

Then in the late afternoon, Nate and I went to a U of A basketball game.  A friend of ours was kind enough to volunteer at the last moment to watch our kids so we could go.  We had been unsuccessful at finding a babysitter and our backup plan was for me to take Kelton.  But I was a bit bummed by that because I really wanted to go with Nate.  So, I was very thankful for this friend taking our kids.  And she wouldn't even let us pay her when I tried.  U of A won the basketball game, though it was a close one.  And this game put us into first place in the nation, and we are still sitting there to this day.

We had planned to go to dinner at Olive Garden and use my gift card, but it was too late by the time the game ended.  (We took the whole family on Monday night for FHE instead.)  So we drove back home, got the kids, made mac and cheese for the kids and biscuits and gravy for us, and had cake.  I made the cake and frosted it, but I let the kids decorate it.  That was fun.  I think I might make that a tradition and let them decorate it every year.



The finished product.  Natalie tried to write "Happy Birthday Mom" but the frosting had been in the fridge and was super hard to squeeze and wasn't cooperating. 

I had a great birthday with the people I love!

2 comments:

Erica said...

What a fun day! (props to Nate for all thought that went into that!)

Elaine said...

It is great to be 30! That is so great that you had an awesome birthday!